Dept Of Agricutlure Sites
- Agricultural Marketing Service - Includes six commodity divisions - Cotton, Dairy, Fruit and Vegetable, Livestock and Seed, Poultry, and Tobacco. The divisions employ specialists who provide standardization, grading and market news services for those commodities.
- Agricultural Marketing Service Farmers Markets - Links to resources and information, an interactive map by states to find local markets, and a kids coloring book.
- Agricultural Research Service (ARS) - The main in-house research arm of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Research news, find-a-researcher, consumer and educational information on a wide range of topics in food, agriculture, pest management, and related areas.
- Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service - advances knowledge for agriculture, the environment, human health and well-being, and communities through national program leadership and federal assistance, in partnership with the nation's Land Grant University system.
- Economic Research Service - Provides economic analysis on efficiency, efficacy, and equity issues relating to agriculture, food, the environment, and rural development to improve public and private decisionmaking.
- Farm Service Agency - Clearinghouse of information and services about farm programs for citizens and for FSA's current and potential business partners.
- Global Issues - Biotechnology - Presents speeches, articles and links on biotechnology policy, regulations, and science. The page is maintained by the Office of International Information Programs.
- Grain Inspection, Packers, and Stockyards Administration - Facilitates the marketing of livestock, poultry, meat, cereals, oilseeds, and related agricultural products, and promotes fair and competitive trading practices for the overall benefit of consumers and American agriculture.
- National Agricultural Library - Part of the Agricultural Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, NAL is one of four U.S. National Libraries, and a major international source for agriculture and related information.
- National Finance Center - Designs, develops, implements, and operates cost effective financial, administrative, and management information systems and services supporting the missions of USDA and its customers.
- National Organic Program - The Rules include livestock welfare. The Final Rule (National Standards on Organic Agricultural Production and Handling), The National List, background and history, upcoming events, training, fact sheets, application for accreditation and commercial availability.
- National Organic Standards Board - Assists in the development of standards for substances to be used in organic production. Site offers an overview on the board membership, recommendations, meeting calendar, and archives.
- Recall Information Center - Recalls are voluntary actions carried out by industry in cooperation with Federal and State agencies. Products are recalled when found to be contaminated, adulterated, or misbranded. Site lists active and archived cases from both Federal and state agencies.
- Risk Management Agency (RMA) - Links and information about the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) that helps farmers survive a major crop loss. The RMA also provides training to farmers to help them acquire the risk management skills.
- Rural Utilities Service - Carries on the tradition of helping rural utilities expand and keep their technology up to date, helping establish new and vital services such as distance learning and telemedicine.
- U.S. Agriculture Statutes - Title 7 of the U.S. Code -- Agriculture
- USDA Farm Service Agency - Site has information on and applications for FSA farm loan, conservation reserve, and commodity programs. Also news, a directory of state and county FSA offices, and statistics regarding agricultural commodities, prices, and production.
- Water Management Research Laboratory - Information on the laboratory, its staff and its research. Develops irrigation and drainage water management practices and methods that use water efficiently, improve agricultural productivity and sustainability, and reduce negative environmental impacts of irrigated agriculture in semi-arid and arid areas.
- Other Gov. Agricutlure Sites
- ATTRA - National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service - Provides technical assistance, news, funding resources, and sustainable agriculture publications to farmers, Extension agents, market gardeners, and agricultural researchers in the United States. The Service is managed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT), through its ATTRA program, with funding from the United States Department of Agriculture.
- CropMAP - System to identify current and alternative crops for all U.S. locations. Includes an interactive map linked to county crop statistics and state-developed lists of traditional, recommended, experimental, and non-recommended crops.
- Farm Foundation - Details of its programs to improve agricultural and rural development, includes publications and information about many current issues in agriculture.
- The National Campaign for Sustainable Agriculture - Dedicated to educating the public on the importance of a sustainable food and agriculture system that is economically viable, environmentally sound, socially just, and humane.
- RadioSource.Net - Web-radio programming on agricultural and life science research, from US land-grant universities. Database can be searched by state and/or topic.
- Soil Climate Analysis Network - SCAN is run by the USDA to monitor and record soil temperatures at a number of stations across the USA.
- USAgNet - Search engine For U.S. agriculture resources.
- USDA - Conservation Reserve Project - Offers information on a variety of U.S. Government grants and programs for agricultural soil and land management,
- USDA: Agricultural Biotechnology - Lists the rules and procedures for obtaining and keeping a permit to work with genetically modified plants and animals in the United States. Defines pharmaceutical and commercial use.
- USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map - A complete clickable zonal map indicating temperature ranges down to individual counties.
Dept Of Agricutlure Food & Nutrition Sites
- Center for Nutrition Policy Promotion (CNPP) - The focal point within USDA where scientific research is linked with the nutritional needs of the American public.
- Child Nutrition Program - Provides healthy, nutritious meals and snacks to the nation's children through the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program, and the Special Milk Program.
- Food Assistance and Nutrition Research Program - Research analyzes the benefits of improved diets and food choices and the outcomes of federal programs (food stamps, WIC, and child nutrition) on the nutrition and food security of Americans. Research opportunities.
- Food Distribution Programs - Strengthens the nutrition safety net through commodity distribution and other nutrition assistance to low-income families, emergency feeding programs, Indian Reservations, and the elderly.
- Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services - Ensures access to nutritious, healthful diets for all Americans. Through food assistance and nutrition education for consumers, FNCS encourages consumers to make healthful food choices.
- Food Stamp Program - Provides benefits to low-income people that they can use to buy food to improve their diets.
- Women, Infants and Children - Safeguards the health of low-income women, infants, and children up to age five who are at nutritional risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating, and referrals to health care.
Dept Of Agricutlure Animal Identification System
- Iowa Beef Center - Contains Iowa premises application, slide presentations, and links relevant to the beef industry.
- Liberty Ark Coalition - Opposing view information. Contains federal rules, state analysis, articles, and list of supporters.
- NAIS Proposal Overview - Opposing view information on the proposed legislation. Contains fact sheet, FAQ, and flyer.
- National Animal Identification System - Official site of the United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Includes overview, planned implementation, FAQ, program goals, fact sheets, press releases, and registration update.
- National Farm Animal Identification & Records - Proponent view - an animal tag supplier. Offers overview, news, statistics, and ear tags.
- No Mandatory Animal ID - Opposing view - a cattle rancher's blog.
- NoNAIS.org - Opposing view fighting to protect traditional rights to farm. Blog containing news articles, FAQ, and links.
- StopAnimalID.org - Agenda is to raise awareness among the public, facilitate communication and interaction, and provide information. Includes program overview, blog, forum, list of organizations opposed, and ways to help.
- Texas Animal Health Commission--Premises & Animal Registration - Information about mandatory animal and premises identification. Contains rule proposal, fact sheet, registration forms, and press releases.
- National Animal ID Run Amok - Humorous article about the pitfals of the National Animal Identification System. (February 12, 2006)
Dept Of Agricutlure NRCS
- National Soil Data Access Facility - NRCS data and related information, including soil survey manuals, classifications, lists of published soil surveys (some online), general information about soils, and related links.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service Maps, Imagery, Data, and Analysis - NRCS distributes natural resources inventory, maps, soils data, and related materials to the public.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service, NRCS - Formerly the U.S. Soil Conservation Service. NCRS program areas include soil survey, conservation assistance, farmland protection, grazing lands conservation, and watershed protection.
Dept Of Agricutlure Forest Service
- Fire and Aviation Management - Works to advance technologies in fire management and suppression, maintain and improve the extremely efficient mobilization and tracking systems in place, and supports Federal, state and international fire partners.
- Idaho Panhandle National Forests - Virtual visitor center: learn about what the Forest Service does, and discover year-round recreational opportunities, places to visit, and the natural beauty of Northern Idaho.
- Invasive Plant Environmental Impact Statement, Pacific Northwest Region - The official website for non-native invasive plants (noxious weed) information.
- Minerals and Geology Management - Restores ecosystems and watersheds affected by past mining practices; provides the geologic expertise and scientific information necessary for sustained forest management and for watershed health and restoration; manages and protects paleontological resources; and manages the mineral resources of the national forest in a fashion that ensures sustained ecosystems and maintains healthy watersheds.
- Monument Fire Center - Information on the Pike Hotshot Crew, Monument Helitack and other forest firefighting jobs.
- National Fire Plan - Contacts, updates, news, links, and current information on the National Fire Plan in Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nevada, and Utah.
- National Forest Foundation - Conducts educational, technical, and other activities that support the multiple use, research, and forestry programs administered by the Forest Service.
- National Forest Service Southwestern Region - Recreation, contact, and area information on National forests and grasslands in the Southwestern U.S.
- US Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station - field unit of the USDA Forest Service, the world's leading forestry research and conservation organization. The Station is headquartered in the Philadelphia suburb of Newtown Square and serves the land and people of 13 northeastern states.
- US Forest Service Southern Research Station - Headquartered in Asheville, North Carolina, serves 13 Southern States and beyond. Conducts research on forest resources and ecosystem and environmental quality in the southern United States.
- USDA Forest Service - Forest Service national headquarters web site. Gateway to all Forest Service webs.
- USDA Forest Service - Northeastern Area - Site emphasis is on state and private forestry information.
- USDA Forest Service - Northeastern Area - Durham Field Office - Provides technical and financial assistance through state forestry organizations in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- USDA Forest Service Environmental Appeals and Litigation - Information about Forest Service National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), National Forest Management Act (NFMA), and Forest Planning and Decision Making processes and appeals of agency decisions.
- USDA Forest Service Research and Development - Operates eight forestry and forest products research stations around the U.S.